KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 13): Malaysia's new Covid-19 cases rose to 7,950 on Wednesday (Oct 13), up 674 from 7,276 recorded on the previous day, according to Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a statement.
Of the new cases, only 133 or 1.7% of them were serious, involving those in Categories 3 (patients with pneumonia), 4 (patients with pneumonia requiring oxygen therapy), and 5 (critical patients requiring assisted ventilation). The remaining 7,817 cases or 98.3% involved people who showed either no symptoms or mild symptoms (Categories 1 and 2).
Daily recoveries came in higher than new infections at 10,832, according to Dr Noor Hisham. A total of 2,227,889 recoveries have been recorded since the pandemic began, from a total of 2,361,529 infections detected, translating into a recovery rate of 94.3%.
There were now 725 patients in intensive care units (ICUs), of which 710 were confirmed Covid-19 cases and 15 were suspected cases under investigation, said Dr Noor Hisham. Of those in ICUs, 380 required ventilators to breathe, he added.
13 new clusters detected
The Ministry of Health (MoH) also announced 13 new clusters on Wednesday (Oct 13) — comprising six workplace clusters, while the rest were community, high-risk, educational institution and detention centre clusters.
A total of 5,624 clusters have been reported across the country so far, including 4,862 that have been declared ended, leaving 762 active clusters.
90.6% of Malaysian adults fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as of Oct 12
A total of 21,220,121 individuals or 90.6% of the adult population of the country had completed their Covid-19 vaccination as of Tuesday (Oct 12), according to the MoH.
Follow our Covid-19 vaccination tracker to see where we are in the race to herd immunity.
Based on the MoH's data on the CovidNow portal, they were among 94.9% of the adult population or 22,215,504 individuals who had received at least one dose of the vaccine.
A total of 209,534 doses of the vaccine were dispensed on Tuesday, bringing the total number of doses administered under the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme (PICK) to 46,044,734.
As for teenagers aged 12 to 17 years, a total of 370,995 individuals or 11.8% of them had completed the vaccination. They were among 74.8% of the age group or 2,352,464 individuals who had received at least the first dose of the vaccine since the PICK programme for adolescents was launched on Sept 8.