KUALA LUMPUR (Sept 7): Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak issued 38 cheques totalling more than RM8.4 million between the period of March 2011 and May 2012 from his AmBank private account ending in “9694”.
Testifying at the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB)-Tanore trial on Wednesday (Sept 7) morning, AmIslamic Bank cheque processing centre senior manager Badrul Hisham Mohamad verified these cheques and their recipients, continuing from his testimony on Tuesday.
Among the recipients of the cheques in various amounts were Umno’s Pekan division, Wanita Umno Pekan, Umno Selangor, Wanita Umno Selangor, Barisan Nasional Bandar Tun Razak division, Serian MP Datuk Seri Richard Riot Jaem and former minister of lands and co-operatives development Tan Sri Kasitah Gaddam.
The witness verified that Najib, who is currently Pekan Member of Parliament, had issued RM2 million in two separate cheques to Umno's Selangor division, and RM1.9 million to Wanita Umno Selangor.
On April 16, 2012, Najib also issued a cheque to property tycoon Tan Sri Lim Soon Peng for RM1 million.
Najib also wrote a cheque worth RM360,000 to one KL Media House.
In the trial before judge Datuk Collin Lawrence Sequerah, it is the prosecution's contention that the money in the “9694” account linked to Najib is part of the infamous RM2.6 billion which prosecutors say is traceable to 1MDB.
Below is the list of the 38 cheques Najib issued and their recipients:
Transactions in 2011
- RM100,000 to one Qalif Umar Creative
- RM200,000 to Umno Pekan Division
- RM100,000 to Abdul Malek Munip
- RM130,000 to Qalif Umar Creative
- RM50,000 to Ahmad Baijuri Ahmad Faudzi
- RM30,000 to Umno Wanita Pekan
- RM100,000 to Ruslan Kasim
- RM50,000 to Fakhrul Azman Abu Bakar
- RM200,000 to Ahmad Bashah Hanipah
- RM274,750 to Semarak consortium
- RM10,000 to Mohd Rosdi Alizah
- RM30,000 to Ibrahim Awang Ismail
- RM15,000 to Zainal Abidin Pa’wan
- RM30,000 to Khairuddin Mahmud
- RM240,500 to Semarak Konsortium Saru Sdn Bhd
- RM5,000 to Zaleha Kamid
- RM800,000 to Wanita Umno Selangor
- RM5,000 to Norhayati Abdullah
- RM50,000 to Gading Emas Management Services
- RM1 million to Umno Selangor
Transactions in 2012
- RM30,000 to Wong Nai Chee
- RM100,000 to Kasitah Gaddam
- RM95,000 to Fanisa Consultancy and Services
- RM30,000 to Azmi Mohamad Noor
- RM100,000 to Richard Riot
- RM50,000 to Ahmad Kamaruzaman Baria
- RM1 million to Umno Selangor
- RM200,000 to Barisan Nasional Bandar Tun Razak
- RM100,000 to Norizan Kasbi
- RM1.1 million to Wanita Umno Selangor
- RM100,000 to Umno Pekan
- RM100,000 to Ruslan Kassim
- RM178,000 to Two One Holidays Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- RM1 million to Lim Soon Peng
- RM400,000 to Umno Machang
- RM360,000 to KL Media House Sdn Bhd
- RM40,000 to Wanita Umno Pekan
- RM2,600 to Wong Nai Chee
The witness was reading from a prepared witness statement, where he verified the issuance of these cheques, the amounts and their recipients.
Najib is charged with four counts of abuse of power and 21 counts of money laundering of RM2.28 billion of 1MDB funds. If convicted, he could be jailed for up to 20 years and fined.
The Edge is covering the trial live here.
Users of The Edge Markets app may tap here to access the live report.